Deer Creek Fiddlers Convention
Please read and understand these rules before registering!!!
1. Contestants must fill out a separate registration sheet for each performance category in which they are competing. Individuals are allowed to compete once in no more than three categories. Sample forms are posted at the registration table.
2. Advance Registration: Online, phone, or mail in registrations are welcome but must be received no later than 5 PM Eastern on June 4, 2013.
3. Onsite registration will begin at 9:00 a.m. and will end at 10:30am. At 10:30am
- A random drawing to determine the order of competition. The order will posted at the stage and at the registration desk. Contestants must compete in order of the registration number.
- Contestants must be at the staging area at the rear of the stage two acts prior to their performance.
- Contestants who are not ready to perform at the time their number is announced by Master of Ceremonies will be skipped.
- The contest will begin at 11:00 a.m.
4. There is NO FEE to register or compete, but everyone must PAY ADMISSION: $12/ADULTS (age 18-64); $10/Teen/Senior (age 13-17, 65 and up); 12 and under FREE with paying adult.
5. In return for the right to compete in this contest, all contestants relinquish any and all rights to any recorded or photographic material of the contest and consent to the recording and photographing of their performance by anyone in attendance.
6. Only acoustic instruments will be considered in the individual competitions. A band may compete with an electric bass.
7. Contestants in the various categories of individual competition (including vocal) may have one backup instrument in addition to their own.
- Backup instruments are not required.
- Vocalists may perform a cappella and will receive full consideration by the judges.
- Vocalists may enter the individual category only as soloists.
8. Contestants in the individual categories (including vocal) will have 3 minutes to perform one continuous piece of music. The piece may be a medley. Points will be deducted for taking more than 3 minutes.
9. Bluegrass and oldtime bands must consist of at least 3 individuals playing 3 different types of instruments. Celtic bands/ensembles must consist of at least 2 individuals. Bands may compete in all three categories: Old-Time, Bluegrass, and Celtic
10. Bands will perform no more than two pieces of music, each not to exceed 3 minutes in length. One piece may be a medley.
- Bands may include only one a cappella piece as part of their performance.
- Bands will lose points for going over 6 minutes for their total performance.
- Bands should not spend their short performance time introducing their individual members or spend time telling band history.
- Bands should introduce their piece of music and tell where it comes from.
11. Each contestant will receive a numerical score from a panel of three judges.
- Common Ground on the Hill selects judges for their expertise and willingness to perform the job.
- Common Ground on the Hill has no input into, or provides any influence to, the judges as to how to apply the point system to any contestant.
- Judges do not total scores and do not know who will win or how anyone will place until after the score totaling is completed.
- The scores of the first ten acts will be reviewed by the judges before final scoring.
12. All prizes will be awarded based on contestant placement in only one round of competition and will be for first, second, and third place as scored by the judges.
13. In the event that there are only 4 contestants in any given category, only First and Second prizes will be awarded. In the event that any category of competition has only two contestants, their scores will be moved to the special performance category for placement tabulation. Prize money for any category with less than two contestants will not be awarded.
14. Scoring of the performances by the judges is final.